BaltimoreGeorgiaMemphisNew York City
Section En
Health Children & Families Tax Credits Housing & Utilities Community Resources Careers & Training Needed Documents
How do I apply for SCRIE?

You can get an application by calling 311, going to the SCRIE Website, or writing to:

New York City Department for the Aging
SCRIE/DRIE Exemption
59 Maiden Lane, 19th Floor
New York, NY 10038

Mail the completed application to the address above.

Once your application has been received, SCRIE will send you an acknowledgement letter with your docket number. This number is used to identify your personal SCRIE record; have it handy whenever you are in contact with a SCRIE representative. Also, you can check the status of your application by calling 311.

The SCRIE office will send you a letter stating whether your application was approved or denied. If denied, you will be given an explanation. If approved, your Approval Order will tell you the amount of your rent increase exemption and when your exemption period begins and ends.

The rent increase exemption usually begins on the first day of the month after your application has been received. For rent controlled apartments, the exemption may be effective on the date of the increase, as long as you submit your application within 3 months.

Look Out
  • You do not need your landlord’s permission to participate in SCRIE.
  • If you have already paid the increased rent for any period within the exemption dates, your landlord must repay you the amount covered by the exemption.