What is it?
New York City Housing Counseling Agencies are nonprofit, HUD-approved organizations that provide counseling services for renters and homeowners through several programs. Many of these agencies also have attorneys on staff to help with legal issues.
What do you get?
Access to counseling services that include:
- Rental Assistance: Services for renters facing displacement, eviction and homelessness; assistance with rental subsidy programs and lease and rental agreements; education on rights and responsibilities of tenants; and support for tenant organizing activities.
- Lead-Paint Hazard Reduction and Poisoning Prevention: help with removing lead paint hazards from your home.
- Weatherization Assistance: funds to help homeowners better prepare their homes for the elements, from insulation to windows and roofing.
- Foreclosure prevention and mortgage default counseling: assists clients in avoiding default and assists clients who are currently in default to work through the problem and find alternatives to foreclosure. Counselors may help negotiate with creditors and banks.
- Homebuyer education classes: A group training program that informs families and individuals about the steps they need to take to prepare for the financial obligations and responsibilities of homeownership.
- One-on-one homebuyer counseling: Personalized case management to help with housing decisions and home purchases, including mortgage financing, closings, and maintaining homeownership
- Credit counseling: Housing counselors will help you obtain and review your credit report, dispute items, and improve your overall score
- Financial literacy classes: Education around money management for potential and current homeowners and renters. Agencies cover a range of topics, including budget, credit, loans, taxes, insurance, and bankruptcy.
- Predatory lending prevention: Education and counseling designed to help avoid predatory loans by providing information on legal assistance and alternative, affordable loan options.
- Post purchase counseling: Assists homeowners in maintaining and keeping their home through relations with mortgagees, re-certifications for HUD/other subsidies, home repair, and more.
How long do you get it?
Housing Counseling agencies will work with you for as long as needed.