BaltimoreGeorgiaMemphisNew York City
Section En
Health Children & Families Tax Credits Housing & Utilities Community Resources Careers & Training Needed Documents
Transitional Medicaid

Do you need health insurance for yourself and your family now that you have left Public Assistance?

Quick Facts
What is it?
Transitional Medicaid is a health insurance program for people who leave Public Assistance (PA) for work. If you have just left PA for work, you and your family should automatically receive Medicaid for the first six months after you start working. This program is called 'Transitional Medicaid.' To get Transitional Medicaid, your public assistance caseworker at the Job Center must close your case with the 'earned income code' (code number E31). The earned income code means that you earn too much to qualify for PA.

What do you get?
You get free medical services such as doctors' services, dental care, eyeglasses, home care, hospital care, and many other health-related services. Most people who receive Medicaid in New York City must enroll in a managed care plan. A managed care plan is a health plan provided by a private Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). You can choose from a number of managed care plans.

How long do you get it?
You get it automatically for the first 6 months after your PA case is closed. If you qualify, you can get Transitional Medicaid for months 7-12. You'll have to re-certify to get Transitional Medicaid for the next 6 months. See below for details on re-certification.

Look Out
Tell your caseworker at the Job Center immediately (within 10 days) when you get a job. Your caseworker must close your case with the 'earned income' code in order for you to get Transitional Medicaid.