BaltimoreGeorgiaMemphisNew York City
Section En
Health Children & Families Tax Credits Housing & Utilities Community Resources Careers & Training Needed Documents
Do I qualify for SCRIE?

You must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • At least 62 years old.
  • Head of household (the person whose name is on the lease, the “tenant of record,” or the older spouse of that person).
  • Live in a rent controlled or rent stabilized apartment, or in a rent regulated hotel unit.
  • The apartment must be your actual residence.
  • Total net household income for the previous tax year must be less than $29,000.
  • Monthly rent must be more than one-third of monthly household income. Example: If your monthly household income is $2,100, your monthly rent must be greater than $700.
  • Must have an approved rent increase:
-- Lease renewal increases for rent stabilized apartments, according to the Rent Guidelines Board (RGB).

-- Rent demand renewal for residential hotel units, authorized by RGB.

-- Maximum collectible rent increase for rent controlled apartments, authorized by the Department of Housing and Community Renewal (DHCR).

-- Increase approved by DHCR to compensate a landlord who demonstrates that his/her rental income fails to offset unavoidable expenses (Hardship Orders).

-- A Fuel Cost Adjustment to compensate a landlord for fuel increases approved by DHCR.

-- A Major Capital Improvement (MCI) increase approved by DHCR to compensate the owner for the cost of building-wide renovations such as a new roof or boiler.

-- An approved increase based on special loans authorized by the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD).
Look Out
  • Rent-stabilized tenants can apply for SCRIE even if they have no rent increase. They will receive a monthly benefit of $0 until a rent increase does go into effect.
  • Tenants who live in Public Housing or receive Section 8 vouchers do not qualify for SCRIE.